Saturday, July 12, 2008

Adobe Digital Editions eReader

I was online viewing what was available at my local library and found a title that interested me but, was only available as an eBook. There was some extra effort involved in checking out this title as I needed to download some software and install it before I could even download the eBook.

Adobe Digital Editions is freeware you can find on the Adobe website. The download is often available on the websites of those who carry titles compatible with it. I had no trouble installing the software and getting the title onto my computer.

Reading eBooks with Adobe Digital Editions prove easy and enjoyable. When I started the eReader, the image of the book cover was right there on the left. I double clicked on it and the image jumped to the main screen, waiting for me to open the cover and dive in.

Adobe went to great lengths to make it look and feel like you are reading a book and not an electronic document. The pages are formatted as if created and bound at a printing press. You are invited to "Turn the Page." Not click "Next." Saving your place is just as easy and intuitive. When you open the eReader again, it takes you right to the page you marked. And then I discovered my favorite feature. Just like writing in the margins of a book your professor has assigned, you can annotate the pages of an eBook you own.

If you're not sure you're ready to give up the paper experience, this can help make the transition to paperless reading material much more palatable. Not only are books available, but also magazines. Adobe has a library of free reading material on their site. I encourage you to give it a try and let me know your thoughts.

No comments: