Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pacific Vortex - Clive Cussler

Sometimes I just want to read something that is loosely tied the world I live in. Something filled with cliches, moves at a breakneck pace and requires minimal processing on my part. I guess that is what pulp fiction is all about. A way to relax and enjoy a few moments without worrying about whether everything makes sense.

I am glad I can turn to Dirk Pitt at those times. A handsome, charismatic hero who always knows what to do and how to do it. There is never any doubt as to whether he will get the girl and save the world but, watching him do it is always fun.

Dirk is on vacation in Hawaii relaxing on a beach when he spots something bobbing in the waves. Little does he know that swimming out and collecting the flotsam will propel him into the center of the Pacific Vortex.

The equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle, the Pacific Vortex is a place where ships disappear without a trace. But, is just a freakish coincidence that ships disappear when they enter the vortex or there something more sinister going on?

No comments: